Qualicum Beach Area Walks
1. Qualicum Beach Airport [Map] – Mostly roads & some forest trails.
2. Qualicum Beach Museum [Map] – Multiple walks, some hills, subject to walk leader preference.
3. Eaglecrest Beach Walk [Map]. Summer walk subject to low tides. Park at the main lot for the beach, halfway down Seacrest Rd (starts at the bottom of Eaglecrest Rd.).
4. Ravensong/Arbutus Woods [Map] – Mostly level. Meet at Civic Centre parking lot.
5. Laburnum Woods [Map] – Meet at top of Garrett Road
6. Little Qualicum Fish Hatchery [Map] – Going north on Hwy 19A, turn left on Laburnam. Cross the railroad & turn right on Claymore Road West. Just after the bridge turn right into the Fish Hatchery.
7. Pheasant Glen Area [Map] – Follow Qualicum Rd south to where it ends at the Pheasant Glen Golf Course gate, and park along the road side. There are several walks from here, subject to the discretion of the walk leader.
8. Judges Row and Brown Property [Map] – Park near the Tourist Information Building on the waterfront.
9. Wildlife Sanctuary, Qualicum North [Map] – Park in Deez Bar & Grill parking lot across from the restaurant. Walk is flat and suitable in all weather. Beach visits possible too.
Hwy 4A Walks – West of Qualicum Beach
10. Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park [Map] – Take Hwy 4A towards Port Alberni. Park is about 10 minutes past the roundabout, on right, before Cameron Lake.
11. Cameron Lake [Map] – Level Walk. Meet at Cathedral Grove parking lot on the Port Alberni Highway 4A.
Up Island Walks
12. Lighthouse Trail [Map]. Take Hwy 19A North out of Qualicum Beach towards Qualicum Bay. At Qualicum Bay turn left on Lions Way and right on Lioness Blvd. A short road; park at the end. Easy, level walk.
13. Big Qualicum Fish Hatchery [Map] – Drive north on Hwy 19A towards Bowser. Approaching turn off for Horne Lake look for the blue and white signs for the fish hatchery. Turn left onto Kenmuir Rd. (This road leads eventually to Horne Lake.) Just before the train tracks, opposite Berkshire Rd, turn sharp right and then immediately left down the gravel road to the hatchery.
14. Nile Creek Trail from Charleton Drive [Map]. Mostly level walk along Nile Creek. Drive north on Hwy 19A. Just before Nile Creek there is a flashing light over the road. Turn left just before, onto Charleton Dr. Go to the end of this road and park.
Parksville Area Walks
15. Englishman River Estuary [Map] – Level, short walk. Turn off Highway 19A by Cultivate Nursery at Shelly Rd. Meet at the end of Shelly Road.
16. Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park [Map] – Level walk in the park. From Hwy 19A, south/east of Parksville, follow the signs to the Park and meet in Parking Lot #1.
17. Tigh-Na-Mara [Map] – South past the Rathtrevor Park sign on 19a, and left at the lights (Resort Way). Tigh-Na-Mara parking lot is straight ahead. This walk often goes over to Craig Bay and back.
18. Top Bridge, Chattel Road – Riverside trail [Map] Nice scenery. At junction 19 and 19A, south of Parksville (by the weigh scale), go under the highway. Do not turn towards Nanaimo. After Stop sign, take first turn (approx. 40 metres) to the right on Chattel Rd. Follow Chattel Rd to the end.
19. Top Bridge from Industrial Park [Map] -Take Hwy 19A south/east through Parksville. Turn right on Industrial Way. Park in the small lot on the right, opposite the end of Tuan Rd.
20. Top Bridge, Grieg Road [Map]. Take Hwy 19A east through Parksville, over the
bridge and immediately after Riverside Bend campsite (just before the top of the hill) turn right onto Greig Rd. Go down Greig Road & park at the small parking lot on the left (where the road takes a sharp right-hand turn).
21. Allsbrook Fish Hatchery [Map] – Longer walk, one hill. Take Hwy 4A. Just west of the Hwy 19 underpass, turn on to Bellevue Rd. Drive to the end of Allsbrook Rd and park near the gate.
22. Englishman River Falls Provincial Park [Map] – Moderate gradients. Take the Alberni Hwy 4A, turning off at Errington Rd where the Park is sign posted. Drive 8 km from Errington Rd to the Park gates and continue to the parking lot.
23. Enos Lake, Nanoose [Map] – Go south on Hwy 19. At Nanoose turn left onto Northwest Bay Road at Petrocan. Cross railway tracks twice then turn right onto Powderpoint Road, continuing to the four way Stop. The road becomes Fairwinds Drive. After 200 metres, park on the left in front of a cedar rail fence. (Some hills)
24. Pacific Shores [Map]. Take Hwy 19A through Parksville. Exit left at the lights onto Northwest Bay Road; turn left at Beaver Creek Wharf Rd and left again at Strougler Rd. Park in lot at the end of the road.
25. Moorecroft Regional Park [Map]. Take Hwy 19A through Parksville. Exit left at the lights onto Northwest Bay Road; after 6.6 km turn left on Stewart Rd heading north. After 1.8 km turn left to continue on Stewart Rd travelling north up to the park. Continue past the sign and yellow entrance gate up to the parking lot.
Note: Walks start at 10:00 am.
26. Bowen Park to Departure Bay [Map] – Go south on Hwy 19 to Nanaimo and exit left at Northfield Rd. At the second set of lights turn right onto Bowen and continue to the bottom end of the park, then turn left on Wall Street. Left into the lower parking lot. This walk is part of the Transcanada Trail.
27. Bowen Park / Buttertubs [Map] – Go south on Hwy 19 to Nanaimo and exit left at Northfield Rd. At the lights turn right onto Bowen Rd and continue to the park, turning left opposite Howard Ave into the upper parking lot. This walk is part of the Transcanada Trail.
28. Westwood Lake, Nanaimo [Map] – The walk is about 6 km with some steep hills. Proceed south to Nanaimo and take the second Jingle Pot Exit, right off Hwy 19. At Westwood Road turn left and follow the signs to Westwood parking lot.
29. Newcastle Island (Saysutshun) [Map] – Meeting time at the Newcastle Island (Saysutshun) Ferry terminal subject to ferry schedule. Park in the Maffeo Sutton Park, on Arena Street. From there, walk towards the waterfront passing the playground. The ferry ride takes about 10 minutes. There are many options for long or short walks on the island. Bring a picnic lunch.
Note: Walks start at 10:00 am or at the discretion of the Leader.
30. Puntledge River, Courtenay [Map] This River Trail West walk is an easy, groomed trail along the west side of the Puntledge River, 11 km return. At both ends of the trail are outdoor facilities. Bring a picnic lunch or lunch at a restaurant in Courtenay.
Take Hwy 19 north, leaving at Exit 117 and turning right onto Comox Valley Pkwy. At first traffic lights, turn left onto Cumberland Rd. Travel 0.8 km, then turn left onto Marsden Rd. Travel 2.3 km & turn left onto Lake Trail Rd. Travel 1.8 km and turn left at the Courtenay Fish & Game sign posted on tree. (This is the Comox Logging Rd) Travel 3 km, past the Courtenay Fish & Game entrance. The road becomes gravel. Travel 1 km to a bridge, then 100 metres more and park on right. If gate is open, follow entrance to parking at the picnic/dam area.
31. Paradise Meadows [Map] –Take Hwy 19 north, past Courtenay and turn off towards the Mt Washington Ski Resort (also called the Strathcona Parkway). Turn left on the road to the Nordic Ski Lodge (Raven Lodge) and continue about 1.5 km to the parking lot at Raven Lodge. There are many trails of different lengths. It can be cool at higher elevations so bring a jacket and good boots. Drinks and food available at Upper Lodge or pack a picnic lunch.
32. Dyke Walk [Map] – An easy, level walk which incorporates the Kitsuksis Trestle and Falls. There is an optional short, uphill section to the trestle with a seat by the falls for any who prefer a break at that point. Meet at Blair Park, 5095 Pineo Road. To reach this park, continue down Hwy 4 in Port Alberni to Margaret St. where you take a right turn then left onto Pineo Street. There you will see the park and parking area. There are washrooms in the park and a covered area with picnic tables. The drive takes about 40-45 minutes from Qualicum Beach.