NOTE: Walks 25, 26, 30, 34, 35, 45, 47, 48 are not suitable in the winter!
1. Qualicum Beach Airport [Map]
2. Qualicum Beach Museum [Map]
3. Seacrest Place – Eaglecrest area [Map]
5. Sandcastle Bakery [Map]
6. Wembley Mall [Map]
7. Ravensong/Arbutus Woods [Map] – Mostly level walk. Meet at the Ravensong Aquatic Centre at Qualicum Beach.
8. Laburnum Woods [Map] – meet at top of Garrett Road
9. Little Qualicum Fish Hatchery [Map] – Going North out of Qualicum Beach on Hwy 19A, go past Garrett Road and turn left on Laburnam. Cross the railroad and turn right on Claymore Road West. Just after the bridge turn right into the Fish Hatchery.
10. Pheasant Glen Area [Map] – From Rupert Rd. turn south on Qualicum Rd towards Pheasant Glen Golf Course. Go straight to gate and park on left.
11. Qualicum South [Map] – This is a level 1-hour walk in behind Pheasant Glen golf club. Drive south from Qualicum on Memorial past Rupert Rd. Turn off left at the large parking area at the “Welcome to Qualicum” sign.
12. Judges Row and Brown Property [Map] – At Qualicum Beach park along the beach front by the Tourist Information Building, across the road from the Shell station.
13. Museum to Little Qualicum River [Map] – Longer walk with one steep hill. Meet at the Qualicum Beach Museum on Beach Road.
14. Fern Road trails [Map] – Meet at the Qualicum Beach Museum on Beach Road.
15. Grandon Creek [Map] – Meet at the Qualicum Beach Museum on Beach Road.
16. Englishman River Estuary – Shelly Road [Map]. Level, short walk. Turn off Highway 19A by Cultivate Nursery, Parksville, into Shelly Road. Meet at the foot of Shelly Road.
17. Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park [Map] – Level walk in Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park. Go south out of Parksville on Hwy 19A to Rathtrevor Park. Park in the main Parking Lot.
18. Tigh-Na-Mara / Rathtrevor [Map] – Go south through Parksville on Hwy 19A, past the Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park signs and turn left at the traffic lights (Resort Way) towards the Tigh-Na-Mara resort. Go straight ahead into the Tigh-Na-Mara carpark.
19. Top Bridge, Chattel Road – Riverside trail [Map] – nice scenery. At junction 19 and 19A south of Parksville (by the weigh scale) go straight ahead under the highway. Do not turn towards Nanaimo. After Stop sign, take first turn (approx. 40 metres) to the right on Chattel Road. Follow Chattel Road to the end (hooks onto Allsbrook Hatchery Road).
20. Top Bridge Walk from Industrial Park [Map] -Take Hwy 19A east through Parksville and just after Riverside Rd turn right into Industrial Way. Park at the small parking lot on the right opposite the end of Tuan Road.
21. Allsbrook / Bellevue Trails [Map] – a longer walk. Take the Alberni Hwy 4A out of Parksville to the Allsbrook shopping center. Turn left into Bellevue and very shortly left into Allsbrook Road. From the intersection with Bellevue continue approximately 1.5 km along Allsbrook. At Evergreen Way, on the left, do a “U” turn and go back along Allsbrook about 100 metres to park at the roadside opposite a yellow single bar gate (now on your left).
22. Allsbrook Fish Hatchery [Map] – Longer walk with one hill. From Parksville, take Hwy 4A towards Coombs. Just after the Hwy19 underpass turn left on Bellevue Road and left again onto Allsbrook Road. Drive right to the end of Allsbrook Road and park on the road near the orange gate.
23. Fisher Road, Errington [Map] – From Parksville take Hwy 4A towards Coombs. Turn left on Errington Rd. At the 4-way stop go straight ahead for 2.0 km. Turn right on Fisher Road and go 1.3 km to stop and park where there is a logging road on the left. Trail could be muddy when wet. (Leader to check re logging.)
24. Englishman River Falls Provincial Park [Map] – Moderate gradients. Take the Alberni Hwy 4A from Parksville. Continue 3kms after underpass and turn left on Errington Rd. Park is signposted from Hwy 4A. Drive approx 8 km from Errington Rd, turn off at the Park gates and continue to the parking lot.
24A. Coombs-Parksville Rail Trail [Map] – Turn south off 4A in Coombs onto Ford Road. Parking area on west side.
25. Enos Lake, Nanoose [Map] – Go south on Hwy 19. At Nanoose turn left onto Northwest Bay Road at the Petrocan station. Cross railway tracks twice then turn right onto Powderpoint Road, continuing to the four way Stop. Cross over. The road is now called Fairwinds Drive. After 200 metres the parking lot is on the left in front of a cedar rail fence. (Hills!)
26. The Notch, Nanoose [Map] – Go south on Hwy 19. At Nanoose turn left onto Northwest Bay Road at the Petrocan station. Cross railway tracks twice then turn right onto Powderpoint Road, continuing to the four way Stop. Cross over. The road is now called Fairwinds Drive. After 200 metres the parking lot is on the left in front of a cedar rail fence. (Steep trail!)
27. Bonnell Falls [Map]– You need good boots for this outing. Relatively short walk with some “hillside” walking on forest trail. Spectacular 3-level waterfalls. Take Hwy 19 south out of Parksville and past the traffic lights at Nanoose. Turn right on Sommerset Road, just past the Arlington Inn. Drive up the hill and continue as the road changes to Sea Blush Drive. Turn right on Sundew and park at end by the red gate.
28. Pacific Shores [Map]. Take Hwy 19A through Parksville. Exit left at the lights onto Northwest Bay Road; turn left at Beaver Creek Wharf Road, and left again at Strougler Rd. Park in parking lot at the end of the road.
28A. Moorecroft Regional Park [Map]. Take Hwy 19A through Parksville. Exit left at the lights onto Northwest Bay Road; after 6.6 km turn left on Stewart Rd heading north. After 1.8 km turn left to continue on Stewart Rd travelling north up to the park. Continue past the sign and yellow entrance gate up to the parking lot.
29. Bowen Park to Departure Bay [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am in the parking lot. Go south on the Inland Hwy 19 around Nanaimo and turn left at Northfield Road. At the lights turn right onto Bowen and continue to the bottom end of the park, then turn left on Wall Street. Left into the lower parking lot. This walk is part of the Transcanada Trail.
30. Bowen Park / Buttertubs [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am from the parking lot. Go south on the Inland Hwy 19 around Nanaimo and turn left at Northfield Road. At the lights turn right onto Bowen Rd and continue to the park, turning left opposite Howard Rd into the upper parking lot. This walk is part of the Transcanada Trail.
31. Westwood Lake, Nanaimo [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am in the Westwood Lake parking lot. The walk is about 6 km with some hills. Proceeding south around Nanaimo take the second Jingle Pot exit, right off Hwy 19, and at Westwood Road turn left and follow the signs to Westwood parking lot.
32. Morrell Sanctuary (from Westwood Lake) [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am at the Lake. The walk is about 6 km with some hills. Proceeding south around Nanaimo take the second Jingle Pot exit, right off Hwy 19, and at Westwood Road turn left and follow the signs to Westwood parking lot.
33. Colliery Dam Park, Nanaimo [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am in the parking lot. Proceed south around Nanaimo on Hwy 19. Turn left at the second Jinglepot exit (sign posted for Town Centre) At Wakesiah turn right and then right again onto the Nanaimo Lake Rd. Continue until after the underpass then turn left into the parking lot for the Colliery Dam Park.
34. Newcastle Island [Map] – Note: meet at the Newcastle Island Ferry terminal prior to 10:00 am as we will be catching the 10:00 am ferry. Park in the Maffeo Sutton Park, Arena Street. Do not use the parking places that are very short-term parking. From the car park walk towards the waterfront; turn left at the“Pirate” statue; the Newcastle Island ferry is right there. The ferry ride takes about 10 minutes. There are many options for long or short walks on the island. Bring a picnic lunch.
South of Nanaimo Walks
35. Cable Bay – Dodd narrows [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am. Go south on Inland Hwy 19 past Nanaimo and take the Cedar Road exit. Go straight ahead and follow Cedar Road as it turns right immediately after the steel truss bridge. Then, turn left on McMillan Road. Turn right on to Holden Corso Road, right onto Barnes Road and then left onto Nicola Road ( past Cedar Heights Crescent). Park at the end of Nicola Road. (Longer walk. Hills.)
36. Jack Point & Briggs Park, Nanaimo [Map]. Take Hwy 19 south to the Duke Point exit. Exit right onto MacMillan Rd which becomes Maughan Rd. Turn right onto Jackson Rd. Look for sign ahead of turn indicating Jack Pt Briggs Park. Drive to parking area at end of the road. Longer walk with HILLS and STAIRS!!
37. Holland Creek loop, Ladysmith [Map] – Note: this walk will start at 10:00 am from the parking lot in Ladysmith. Take Inland Hwy 19 south past Nanaimo to Ladysmith. Turn right at the lights as you enter Ladysmith. This is First Avenue. Drive along First Avenue through the town & up the hill. Turn right on Methuen Street, which is the first street after White Street. Go to the end of Methuen Street (where it meets 6th Street) and park in the parking lot straight ahead. (Longer walk. Hills.)
Hwy 4/Port Alberni Walks
38. Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park [Map] – From QB take Hwy 4 towards Port Alberni. Provincial Park is on the right just before Cameron Lake.
39. Mt. Arrowsmith CPR Trail [Map] – For those who will go to the Lookout this is a serious mountain hike up the CPR horse trail as far as the view point (approximately 3000 feet gain). You need good boots, water and a picnic lunch. For those who may not want to do the full hike you could just do the first part up to the McBey Creek bridge and have lunch back down at the side of Cameron Lake (about 800 feet height gain and 5.5 km return). Take the Alberni Hwy 4 towards Cameron Lake. From Qualicum Beach junction of Memorial and Rupert Roads, 15 km to the first picnic area at the east end of Cameron Lake. It is immediately after Chalet Road on the right. Enter the park and park in the picnic area car park.
40. Cameron Lake [Map] – Level Walk. Meet at Cathedral Grove parking lot on the Port Alberni highway.
41. Log Train Trail, Port Alberni [Map] – Note: This walk will start at 10:00 am at the starting point in Pt. Alberni. Take Hwy 4 to Port Alberni. Take the right fork at the Information Centre and turn right at the 2nd road, Mabelle. Go to end of road and park.
North of Qualicum Beach Walks
42. Lighthouse Trail [Map]. Take Hwy 19A North out of Qualicum Beach towards Qualicum Bay. At Qualicum Bay turn left into Lions Way and right into Lioness Blvd. A short road; park at the end. Easy, level walk.
43. Big Qualicum Fish Hatchery [Map] – From the bottom of Memorial Ave go north on Hwy 19A towards Bowser for approximately 13.5 km. Look for the blue and white signs for the fish hatchery. Turn left onto Kenmuir road. (This road leads eventually to Horne Lake.) Just before the train tracks, opposite Berkshire Road, turn sharp right and then immediately left down the gravel road to the hatchery.
44. Wildwood: Northern trails [Map] – Take Hwy 19A north towards Bowser. After Nile Creek, turn left on McColl Road. Just before the Park, park in church parking lot on left side of McColl Road.
45. Nile Creek Trail from Charleton Drive [Map]. A mostly level walk along Nile Creek. From the Qualicum Beach Visitor Information Centre, drive north on Hwy 19A for 17.7 km. Just before Nile Creek there is a flashing light over the road. Turn left here onto Charleton Drive just before you reach the flashing lights. Go to the end of this road and park without obstructing any driveways.
46. Rosewell Creek Provincial Park [Map] – A longer walk along a 6 km riverside trail. Take Hwy 19A north past Bowser. It is about 30 km from the QB Visitors Information Centre. Follow the signs into the Park – on the right.
47. Helliwell Park, Hornby Island [Map] – A special day outing. Bring a picnic lunch. The ferry leaves Buckley Bay for Denman Island at 10:00 am and you need to be there by at least 9:30 am to join the queue and get tickets. Group ticket rates are available. Car pooling is encouraged. (Late arrivals may have to wait for the next ferry.) After transferring to Hornby Island we will drive to Helliwell park and do the sea coast walk. After that we will drive back to Tribune Bay park and have lunch together at the “group” shelter. The afternoon is then free to swim on the wonderful beach, explore the island, etc, and return home when you wish.
48. Puntledge River, Courtenay [Map] – Note: This walk will start at 10:00 am at the parking lot. This River Trail West walk is an easy, groomed trail along the west side of the Puntledge River. Distance: 5.5 km; Walking time: approximately 2 ½ hours return. At both ends of the trail there are outdoor facilities. Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy by the dam after the walk. There are 4 or 5 picnic tables available. Alternative choice is lunch at a restaurant in Courtenay.
Take the Inland Island Hwy 19 to Courtenay and leave the Hwy at Exit 117 onto the Courtenay Connector. At the first set of traffic lights turn left onto Cumberland Rd. Travel 0.8 km to 1st road and turn left onto Marsden Rd. Travel 2.3 km and turn left onto Lake Trail Rd. Travel 1.8 km and turn left at the Courtenay Fish & Game sign posted on tree. (This is the Comox Logging Rd… but sign is missing.) Travel 3 km following the road straight past the Courtenay Fish & Game entrance. The road becomes a gravel surface. Travel 1 km to bridge and after bridge 100 m to parking on right. If gate is open follow entrance to parking at the picnic/dam area.
48A. Nymph Falls [Map] – Note: This walk will start at 10:00 am. The Nymph Falls trail is on the lower, downstream, side of the dam. On highway 19, head north to Courtenay, at the second exit, #127, make a right turn, onto Piercy Rd. Make a right turn at the first road, onto Forbidden Plateau Road. Keep going 2.8 km until you see a sign on your left for Nymph falls … entrance to parking lot. If you reach a dirt road you have gone too far.
49. Paradise Meadows [Map] – Note: This walk will start at 10:00 am. Take the Inland Hwy 19 north, past Courtenay and turn off towards the Mt Washington Ski Resort (also called the Strathcona Parkway). Turn left on the road to the Nordic Ski Lodge (Raven Lodge) and continue about 1.5 km to the parking lot at Raven Lodge. There are many trails of different lengths. It can be cool at higher elevations so bring a jacket and good boots. Drinks and or food maybe available at Raven Lodge, but we usually pack a picnic lunch.